Polymer Clay Creations

As I mentioned in my previous metallic mint green challenge, my son inspired my next color challenge by showing me a picture of his freshly made SodaStream Orange Soda.

 

Once again, here is the best that I could do to approximate his orange soda color.  I created it by using two parts of old formula Premo orange plus one part of flourescent pink.

As you saw in a previous post, I have recently been experimenting with an adaptation of Jenny Cox’s faux howlite tutorial.   I started there with this color project…mixing a pinch of the orange soda clay with old formula Premo bleached translucent.  It made a nice, light orange translucent blend.   I chilled & chopped the clay into tiny bits…and divided the chopped clay into two piles.  Into one pile, I mixed metallic pink Inkabilities ink…and into the other pile, I mixed a combination of blue & charcoal (trying for a nice dark contrast).   After letting the ink dry, I mushed the bits together (can take some effort) and squeezed them into an 18×25 cabochon mold (homemade years ago using Miracle Mold).   Here are the results:

Both of these cabochons are made using orange-tinted translucent clay. The cabochon on the left was mixed with pink metallic ink, the one on the right with a mixture of blue/charcoal metallic inks.

I really loved the way these turned out…I loved the depth of each piece.

After this, I was inspired to try a mokume gane (since my last color challenge resulted in five nice mokume gane stacks).   I mixed a pea sized ball of the orange soda color into an ounce of Premo bleached translucent.  I also had a little bit of the lighter cranberry/pearl mixture left over from the mint green color challenge.  I decided to stack the orange translucent with the cranberry/pearl in alternating layers.  I also used alternated using variegated red metallic leafing and a charcoal metallic ink on the layers as I built the stack.  It turned into a really interesting mokume gane!  I loved it.  I lay it on a base sheet of white and it turned out like this:

Orange translucent with pearl/cranberry and gold leafing/metallic inks…applied to a base layer of white clay and rolled thin on the pasta machine.

I enjoyed working with this and made several lovely items with it:

 

These turned out great…but I started to get a nagging suspicion that I really wasn’t following the spirit of this challenge.  After all — the challenge is to work with a color that is difficult for me.  Mixing the difficult color with translucent or putting it in a mokume gane stack didn’t leave that bright orange soda color as the “star.”  When you look at the above items, you certainly don’t see the bright orange shade.

Therefore, I decided to make some more adapted faux howlite cabochons…this time using the original color clay itself (one with silver metallic ink, and one with violet metallic ink).  They turned out amazing…and the orange is definitely the “star” of the pieces!

Both cabochons use the “orange soda” color shown above. The cabochon on the left was mixed with violet metallic ink, the one on the right with silver metallic ink.

After this, I mixed the original color half & half with old formula Premo pearl.  While the color was milder…I still felt true to the original orange color.   I took some bleached translucent clay and made four very small, very thin sheets:  1) mixed translucent with micro pearl pearl-ex, 2) fully integrated some gold leafing into the translucent (rolling it through the pasta machine several times till fully integrated), 3) covered one layer with teal metallic ink, and 4) covered one layer in irridescent glitter.  Then I rolled all four translucent sheets to the thinnest layer on my pasta machine (7 on my Atlas).   Then I cut out small shapes from each sheet and placed them on top of the orange pearl base layer.  Sometimes when using this technique, I really lay on the pieces (practically covering the base layer)…but this time I wanted to make sure the orange was the star…so I arranged them in a sparse design and this is the result:

Finally…I felt that I really needed to re-use my mokume gane stack so as to feature the bright orange color.  So instead of laying the mokume gane slices on a white base layer (as above)… this time I placed the slices on a layer of the original orange soda color.  The difference was striking and the orange was really featured!

The above mokume gane placed upon the orange soda base sheet. Striking!

This picture will really show the difference it makes in choosing the base color for a translucent mokume gane stack:

Both of these pieces use the same mokume gane stack described above. The piece on the left has the MG slices placed on an orange soda colored base layer, the one on the right has the slices placed upon a white base layer.

This challenge was a lot of fun!   I challenge you to get outside of YOUR comfort zone and work with a color/technique/style that you have never used before!    Then report the results!

 

Leave a Reply